Build error once AdRotator v2 added to solution

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I am trying to use Adrotator V2 in a Windows 8.1 store app that I am currently writing, before adding a reference via NuGet to Adrotator the solution all build and runs fine.

I add the reference via NuGet and it appears to add the references correctly, and the project to which the reference has been added still builds ok; however there is another solution in the project which is referenced by the main one and that now gives an error :

Error 5 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'xxx-proj.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug (x64)' Platform='x64'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform.

This other project is very simple, its target platform is set to Windows 8.1 and it only has references to .NET for Windows Store apps & Windows so it is a very simple project.

I am at a loose to work out what is going on, the output path is specified in the project, and it builds fine as a solution by itself

So any pointers or ideas on the cause of the issue would be great.

Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Can't think of the top of my head what could possibly cause that.
Could you create a simple replication project and we'll have a look at it. Could be an issue with one of your .csproj projects. As AdRotator would be an external reference like others, it won't have an output path setting.
Feb 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly I get the same issue if I download the source for the AdRotator project from Nuget and load it into VS 2013, it does say that the AdRotator.proj file needs to be upgraded when I open the solution and then once complete the following error is displayed:

AdRotator: Some NuGet packages were installed using a target framework different from the current target framework and may need to be reinstalled. For more information, visit http://docs.nuget.org/docs/workflows/reinstalling-packages. Packages affected: Microsoft.Bcl, Microsoft.Bcl.Async, Microsoft.Bcl.Build

I ran 'Update-Package –reinstall Microsoft.Bcl' in the Package Manager Console window, and it seemed to go ok, but then when I try to re-compile the solution I get the following:

Error 2 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'AdRotator.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug' Platform='x86'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. AdRotator.Windows8
Error 3 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'AdRotator.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug' Platform='x86'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. AdRotator.WinPhone8
Error 4 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'AdRotator.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug' Platform='x86'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. AdRotator.Examples.Windows8
Error 5 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'AdRotator.csproj'. Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project. Configuration='Debug' Platform='x86'. This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. AdRotator.Examples.WinPhone8
Error 7 Metadata file 'C:\Develop\AdrotatorV2-master\AdRotator\Clients\Windows8\bin\x86\Debug\AdRotator.dll' could not be found C:\Develop\AdrotatorV2-master\Examples\AdRotator.Examples.Windows8.1\CSC AdRotator.Examples.Windows8.1

I just amended the Platform for all of the projects in the AdRotator solution and made them 'Any CPU' and that appeared to fix the issue!

With my solution, as I am using SQLite in it I have to target a specific Platform, so am wondering if that could be causing an issue?

Cheers,
Rupert
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM
It shouldn't be platform specific. I've used the control in test and official apps without the above errors before, including with SQLite

Have you tried downloading the source and referencing it that way to see if it makes any difference?